[rds-devel] [ofa-general] [RFC] dropping RDS over TCP support

Richard Frank richard.frank at oracle.com
Wed Sep 3 08:53:48 PDT 2008

Yes, RDS is a socket provider - regardless of which RDS transport plug
in it is running over.  RDS is structured to run over any transport
plug-in that provides reliable connection semantics. Today, we have two
plug-ins (logically 3 plugins) - IB, IWARP, TCP..

As a socket provider - RDS is a networking driver - no getting around
that - as I recall this was the thinking behind putting RDS in /net..

I suppose the rdma transport plug-ins for RDS could live in rdma part of
the tree - but it's probably easier to maintain with the current layout
- where everything associated with RDS is kept together.

Perhaps the real question is - does RDS running over TCP offer valuable
functionality - enough to balance the cost of maintaining it ?
I believe the answer is yes - as it allows running RDS over standard
ethernet NICS like GE and 10GE - but we need to get some data to prove
this.

Perhaps we should work on getting performance data to validate RDS/TCP
as a solution over 10GE.