[rds-devel] [ofa-general] [RFC] dropping RDS over TCP support

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Wed Sep 3 04:48:56 PDT 2008

Richard Frank wrote:
> So by this logic IPOIB is an rdma driver - since it lives in the
> drivers/infiniband ?
Yes, as Roland commented in the past, every IB driver has two souls...
for example IPoIB is a network driver and IB driver, SRP is a SCSI LLD
and IB driver, iSER is an IB driver, a SCSI LLD and an iSCSI trasport
provider, etc etc. The point is that IB/RDMA is special enough for it to
have its own code location and maintainer in the mainline kernel.

> I'm still not following why we differentiate if the driver is net vs
> rdma - by whether or not the driver uses the TCP transport.. ?
RDS is a socket provider and if this socket has also implementation over
tcp/stream sockets it sounds like its --core-- code belong to the net
section of the code base.

> What about other kernel modules that use network TCP transport - are
> they all network drivers ?
no. For example iscs/tcp uses TCP sockets and is under drivers/scsi

Or