[Oracleasm-users] Oracle ASMLib and IBM SDD

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Fri Jun 3 16:54:31 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 04:29:28PM -0500, heath seals wrote:
> Anyone on the list have experience getting ASM working with IBM SDD
> vpath devices?    When I attempt to label a device for use with ASM I
> get the following error :
>
> [user at host log]$ sudo /etc/init.d/oracleasm createdisk VOL1
> /dev/vpathaa1 Password:
> Marking disk "/dev/vpathaa1" as an ASM disk: asmtool: Device
> "/dev/vpathaa1" is not a partition
>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> /dev/vpathaa1 is a partition.  I've tried with the storage presented
> directly from the Shark and via a storage virtualization controller...
>  same results.  Labeling an underlying sd device as ASM works fine....
>  but not having multiple paths the SAN is not an option.

	I've not used the Shark stuff, so I don't know.  What sense to
you mean "/dev/vpathaa1 is a partition"?  Do you mean "I have a device
/dev/vpathaa, I ran fdisk /dev/vpathaa, now I have a partition
/dev/vpathaa1"?  Or do you mean "I have a partition /dev/sda1 and a
partition /dev/sdc1, they are linked via vpath to /dev/vpathaa1"?  The
former should absolutely work.  The latter won't, I'd bet, because the
vpath code would be advertising it as a whole device, not a portion of a
bigger device.

Joel

--

"The doctrine of human equality reposes on this: that there is no
 man really clever who has not found that he is stupid."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker at oracle.com