[Oracleasm-users] Oracle ASMLib and IBM SDD

heath seals heath.seals at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 16:29:28 CDT 2005

Anyone on the list have experience getting ASM working with IBM SDD
vpath devices?    When I attempt to label a device for use with ASM I
get the following error :

[user at host log]$ sudo /etc/init.d/oracleasm createdisk VOL1
/dev/vpathaa1 Password:
Marking disk "/dev/vpathaa1" as an ASM disk: asmtool: Device
"/dev/vpathaa1" is not a partition
                                                           [FAILED]

/dev/vpathaa1 is a partition.  I've tried with the storage presented
directly from the Shark and via a storage virtualization controller...
 same results.  Labeling an underlying sd device as ASM works fine....
 but not having multiple paths the SAN is not an option.

Installed IBMsdd and oracleasm RPMs :

[user at host log]$ rpm -qa IBMsdd
IBMsdd-1.6.0.1-3
[user at host log]$ rpm -qa oracleasm*
oracleasm-2.4.21-27.0.4.ELhugemem-1.0.4-1
oracleasm-support-2.0.0-1
oracleasmlib-2.0.0-1

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks and Take Care.