[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 best practices and usage options.

Silviu Marin-Caea silviumc at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 26 22:58:33 PST 2020

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 21:34, Jim Andrews wrote:
> My DBA has concerns. He mentioned he read case studies that say i/o to ocfs is considerably faster than i/o to NFS and that

It's faster if you put the database datafiles on it, but just for backup, it's not relevant. You're over complicating, over thinking. Too many chefs in the kitchen.

> also I should explain our environment further such that we are writing massive files. we’re running a 30TB database where we will be incrementally backing up using 15+ threads to the storage location on a daily basis, and an incremental around 10TB each month. Currently our incremental takes about 4-5 hours to complete, and the full RMAN backup about 18-21 hours.

What's the speed on the volume when writing backup?

iostat -dh 5 /dev/whatever

> He feels ocfs2 is more of a high availability solution than NFS. But I feel NFS presented from NAS to both hosts makes it always available on both hosts anyway.

> Problem is a may not get my global SAN to present NAS NFS. And also I am unsure if my network team can provide NAS NFS over a 10GB pipe.

No 10 Gb, no joy, no NFS. You're handling a 30 Tb database and you don't have 10 Gb? You should take care of that first.

You're taking OCFS2 into consideration because you don't have a fast network and try to go around that problem with mounting from SAN.