[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 best practices and usage options.

Jim Andrews James.Andrews at exlservice.com
Wed Feb 26 11:34:59 PST 2020

Thank you for your reply.  Much appreciated!

My DBA has concerns. He mentioned he read case studies that say i/o to ocfs is considerably faster than i/o to NFS and that also I should explain our environment further such that we are writing massive files.  we're running a 30TB database where we will be incrementally backing up using 15+ threads to the storage location on a daily basis, and an incremental around 10TB each month.  Currently our incremental takes about 4-5 hours to complete, and the full RMAN backup about 18-21 hours.

He feels ocfs2 is more of a high availability solution than NFS.  But I feel NFS presented from NAS to both hosts makes it always available on both hosts anyway.

Problem is a may not get my global SAN to present NAS NFS.  And also I am unsure if my network team can provide NAS NFS over a 10GB pipe.

Hopefully you're ok with another reply.
Thank you again!
-Jim A