[Ocfs-users] E-Business 11i.9 and RAC 9.2.0.3

Wim Coekaerts wim.coekaerts at oracle.com
Fri Nov 14 00:52:45 CST 2003

we just had a discussion about performance the other day, there are
notes in webiv describing performance characteristics of raw/ocfs vs
ext3, the baisic point is that to move to rac, what you do is you give
All available memory to oracle's buffercache, don't leave it free for
the OS to use nad you will see things scale way better.

if you leave a ton of free memory for the os, it will use it to cache
data, which means reads are cached reads more so than on raw/cfs
in rac, we Need sync read/write, so it has to awlays come from disk and
go to disk , unless ORACLE caches it, not the OS.

you can start creating on ext3 and then move to ocfs, that should not be
an issue (just make sure to use dd --o_direct=yes, with a large
blocksize  eg bs=10M from our fileutils)

wim