[linux-sparc-users] netboot?

Stanislav Kholmanskikh stanislav.kholmanskikh at oracle.com
Fri Jul 22 01:30:49 PDT 2016

Hello.

On 07/22/2016 06:34 AM, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> Just curious if there’s any notes on net booting Oracle sparc in to installation.  Attempting to use the available img files from the images/ results in:
>
> ERROR: /packages/obp-tftp: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss
>
> which I’ve seen with other distributions.  There’s an older Debian distribution that seems to work.  This has something to do with the image being too big?
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.  I’m trying to get Oracle Sparc running on a handful of machines.  Our systems are T5220’s.

I can't say anything about our official way of doing this, but you can
get it working by using grub2. I.e. load grub2 via TFTP/DHCP and then
load the kernel and initrd used for installations from the ISO.

For example:

grub-mknetdir -v --net-directory=/var/lib/tftpboot/

Then setup a tftp server for this directory, setup dhcp server:
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
         range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.20;
         option routers 192.168.0.1;
         option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
         next-server 192.168.0.1;
         filename "boot/grub/sparc64-ieee1275/core.img";
}

and copy kernel and initrd images into it.

Then create a config file /var/lib/tftpboot/boot/grub/grub.cfg with content:
menuentry 'Install LFS' {
	insmod tftp
	set root=tftp,192.168.0.1
	linux /your_kernel_image
	initrd /your_initrd_image
}

Then in OBP:

<ok>  boot net0:dhcp
and you will see the Anaconda.

One big issue is that Linux on SPARC patches for grub2 are not yet
accepted by upstream, so you will need to apply them manually to the
latest grub2 sources (in git).

This set should be enough for the above scenario:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2016-04/msg00015.html

There is another set of patches fixing other things on SPARC:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2016-06/msg00028.html

but it's unlikely you will need them to get the above netboot scenario
working.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.