[Firewire-devel] RE: 4 node firewire cluster

Han Xie han.xie at oz.quest.com
Tue May 24 23:00:06 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I replaced our Firewire cards and all 4 nodes are running OK.  I installed CRS on all 4 nodes fine.  I then installed Oracle RDBMS on all 4 nodes OK.  Next, I used DBCA to create a database, it almost succussed.  It hangs at the last step when try to startup the instance.

To debug it, I re-boot all 4 nodes, and manually run SQL*Plus, it hangs as well.  (I double checked the datafiles are created fine on the shared disk)

In the /var/log/message, it has message like:
May 17 11:46:03 melclul11 kernel: ocfs: Removing melclul12 (node 0) from clustered device (8,46)

I thought it might an Oracle limitation.  So I disable the crs on two nodes, and YES, I can startup my database fine.

Now, all 4 nodes are running, only two has crs enabled, and a database is running on these two nodes.  It is quite clear to me that this is an Oracle limitation, Oracle only allow 2 nodes on Firewire.

My question is, is this limitation configurable?  and How?

Thanks in advance.
Han