[Btrfs-users] Hi

Chris Mason chris.mason at oracle.com
Fri Jun 22 05:30:08 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 01:22:26AM +0200, ballester.david at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi to all:
>
> I've reading about btrfs and some features looks very interesting!
>
> Exist any documentation where I can learn more about them? I'm very
> interested in understand what exactly signifies:
>
> 1.- Btr ;)

It is pronounced butterfs ;)

> 2.- Object level mirroring and striping ( something like Oracle ASM
> does? )

In this case, files and metadata are the objects.  There will be the
ability to mirror and stripe them (this does not yet exist).

> 3.- Strong integration with device mapper for multiple device support
> ( some type of LVM ? )

The device mapper is the kernel portion that helps implement LVM.  So
yes, integration with LVM style tools is on the list.

> 4.- Efficient incremental backup and FS mirroring ( Like rman does with
> database blocks in 10g? )

The FS metadata will make it possible to quickly find objects that have
changed since a given version of the FS.

> I can not help you very much coding, but If I can help you in other ways
> let me know

Thanks for taking a look.  I hope to have another release out next week
that fixes problems with full disks.  After that general testing would
be much appreciated.

-chris