[Btrfs-devel] Anyone working on xattr support?

Chris Mason chris.mason at oracle.com
Tue Jul 31 17:04:46 PDT 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:44:43 -0700
Zach Brown <zab at zabbo.net> wrote:

> > like them to be as simple as possible.  Every xattr inode would
> > have a flag set that says I'm an xattr inode!, and it shouldn't be
> > all that hard on fsck.
>
> Yeah, that's what ocfs2 does.
>
> Maybe it'll be easier because btrfs can just toss inodes (leafs with
> inodes, I suppose) whose checksums are invalid.  fsck.{ext*,ocfs2}
> gets to play the fun game of trying to figure out which of a set of
> conflicting fields is actually the one that isn't corrupt.  It's not
> great.

Well, these inodes will have directory items pointing to them, and they
will have back pointers to the directory item (once I code up back
pointers).

That leaves us with: uid, gid, rdev, and the timestamps.  i_mode will
just be ignored anyway, if the back pointer checks out then it really
is an xattr inode and the mode doesn't matter.  Same goes for uid, gid.

No questions needed, but patches always welcome ;)

-chris