[Btrfs-devel] Anyone working on xattr support?

Zach Brown zab at zabbo.net
Tue Jul 31 16:44:43 PDT 2007

> like them to be as simple as possible.  Every xattr inode would have a
> flag set that says I'm an xattr inode!, and it shouldn't be all that
> hard on fsck.

Yeah, that's what ocfs2 does.

Maybe it'll be easier because btrfs can just toss inodes (leafs with
inodes, I suppose) whose checksums are invalid.  fsck.{ext*,ocfs2}
gets to play the fun game of trying to figure out which of a set of
conflicting fields is actually the one that isn't corrupt.  It's not
great.

(rule of thumb: every time fsck has to ask an interactive question,
instead of being able to tell from disk structures, there's a design
failure.)

So maybe it doesn't matter.  Still, it seems sloppy.

Maybe I could roll a patch some day to demonstrate what I'm talking
about instead of just whining in email.  That'd be something!

- z