[Btrfs-devel] Debian packaging

Chris Mason chris.mason at oracle.com
Wed Jul 11 07:35:04 PDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:03:53 +0200
Adrian von Bidder <avbidder at fortytwo.ch> wrote:

> Yodel!
>
> I'm a Debian developer, and I have recently discovered the Btrfs
> project. I'm no filesystem hacker, though, so I'll remain mostly
> silent here.  Just allow me to make this short announcement:
>
> I'm in the process of creating btrfs Debian packages.  Preliminary
> packages are available at <http://fortytwo.ch/debian/btrfs/>, expect
> the packages to be uploaded to Debian unstable soon-ish.  (Since
> Btrfs is still very unstable, I'll not let the packages go near
> testing or even stable, though.)

Great, thanks for doing these.  If the people making packages need me
to store some files in the btrfs repos (spec files or whatever), feel
free to send them along.

> I hope giving Btrfs wider exposure in this way is in your interest,
> too.

Definitely, but please keep a big warning in there that the disk format
will change a few more times and that no backwards compatibility will
be provided.

> Since I have the impression that you're doing 0.x releases quite
> often and especially do them when grave data corruption bugs crop up,
> I think packaging releases instead of snapshots is ok.

Yes, the releases are the way to go.

-chris