[Berkeley DB Announce] Berkeley DB 4.7

Announcements related to the Berkeley DB product family. bdb at oss.oracle.com
Fri Jun 13 12:41:09 PDT 2008

Berkeley DB 4.7.25
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/db/

Berkeley DB 4.7 is a major new release of Berkeley DB with many new
features,
enhancements, and fixes.  We recommend that all users review these new
features
and strongly consider upgrading to 4.7.

NEW IN RELEASE 4.7

* Performance
  - The lock manager may now be partitioned, improving performance
    on some SMP and CMP systems. [#15880]
  - The logging system may now be configured to pre-zero log files
    when they are created, improving performance on some systems. [#15758]

* Replication/HA:
  - It is now possible to replicate databases between machines
    running with different CPU architectures (SPARC, Intel, AMD,
    PowerPC, etc.).  The log files and replication protocol are
    now architecture-neutral/aware, application programmers need
    only translate their own data (content of the DBT itself) and
    let DB translate the rest. [#15787] [#15840]
  - A new feature called "master leases" has been added to the
    replication manager.  This feature works much like a "heartbeat"
    and reduces the potential for a master to fail and then go unnoticed.
    [#15714]

* The Java/JNI API
  - Berkeley DB Java Edition (JE) provides an easy method for object
    storage, query, and retrieval.  That's now been added to Berkeley DB's
    Java/JNI API.  The Direct Persistence Layer (DPL) adds a built-in
    Plain Old Java Object (POJO)-based persistent object model, which
    provides support for complex object models without compromises in
    performance.

* Stability
  - We have enhanced a feature that helps clean up accidental thread
    (or process) death while allowing other concurrent processing to
    continue.  This further reduces the window within which a failure
    will require recovery before processing can continue.  The
    DB_ENV->failchk() method can now abort transactions for threads
    which have failed while blocked on a concurrency lock. This
    significantly decreases the need for database environment recovery
    after thread of control failure. [#15626]

For a complete list of changes in this release please review the change log.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/ref/changelog/
4.7.html

Software Download:
   http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db
   http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/db

Download the source code or a pre-compiled Windows binary installer along
with complete documentation and our entire test suite at:

Berkeley DB .tar.gz, with AES encryption
   http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.7.25.tar.gz

Berkeley DB .zip, with AES encryption
   http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.7.25.zip

Berkeley DB .msi Windows installer, with AES encryption
   http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.7.25.msi

Berkeley DB NC.tar.gz , without encryption
   http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.7.25NC.tar.gz

Berkeley DB .NC.zip, without encryption
   http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.7.25.NC.zip

Documentation page:
   http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db

You may find an answer on our product FAQ page:
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/faq/db_faq.html

Join OTN today and participate in the Berkeley DB Support Forum and
discussions.  Our engineering and support staff are highly active on
these forums, if you have questions please ask them there first.

General Questions
    http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=271

Questions on HA/Replication
   http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=272

For further information, please contact us at:
   mailto:berkeleydb-info_us at oracle.com

Thank you for your support of Berkeley DB.

regards,

-greg
Greg Burd | Senior Product Manager | Oracle Berkeley DB