[Berkeley DB Announce] Welcome

bdb at oss.oracle.com bdb at oss.oracle.com
Thu Oct 5 08:36:02 PDT 2006

Users of Berkeley DB,

We've transitioned our email announcement and discussion email lists to
an Oracle hosted service.  The purpose is not discussion, but simply
announcements of releases and other Berkeley DB related information.
For now this is unidirectional from me to you.

Your prior subscriptions to Sleepycat.com hosted email lists have been
taken as implicit opt-in for this email list.  If you'd like to be
removed do so as described below, but we hope that you will stay with us
so that we might keep you informed about Berkeley DB.

To join this list email bdb-join at oss.oracle.com
To leave, send email to bdb-leave at oss.oracle.com

Archives of list email are archived at:
http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/bdb/

Berkeley DB information is now hosted at Oracle, and soon Sleepycat.com
will be redirected to this new location.

     http://www.oracle.com/database/berkeley-db/

All of the releases, documentation, case studies and all other material
from the Sleepycat 'www' and 'dev' sites are now located within the
'oracle.com' site.  Please change over any links you maintain on your
sites, within documentation, or other locations to their new locations.

All historical downloads and all future downloads of Berkeley DB
products are available via 'download.oracle.com' using the following URL
pattern:

     http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/<release package name>

A 'release package name' is something like 'db-4.5.20.tar.gz' or
'je-3.1.0.zip', etc.  Note that if you are a package maintainer the old
links *will not* remain live much longer.  Please change packages in
your distributions to the new download locations as soon as possible to
prevent any disruption in service.  Also, note that the Oracle download
service will redirect HTTP requests to region specific servers.  Please
test your packages to ensure that it will follow the redirections.  In
the event it does not follow the redirect simply supply a region
specific URL in place of the generic one.

For example, rather than:

     http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.5.20.tar.gz

use:

     http://download-west.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.5.20.tar.gz

The Oracle Technology Network (OTN) newsletter "OTN TechBlast" at:

      http://www.oracle.com/technology/techblast/index.html

is a more general way to learn of Oracle products and other information.
  We've decided to keep this announcement email list because we feel our
community is used to this type of communication and is well served by
specific Berkeley DB announcements.

Historically we've used email for informal, community support.  OTN
forums are now the location for our community to interact with our
developers and support staff directly.

     Berkeley DB
      http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=271

     Berkeley DB JE
      http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=273

     Berkeley DB XML
      http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=274

     Forum: Berkeley DB High Availability (Replication)
      http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=272

We continue to actively support out community of open source users on
those forums.  Please join OTN and communicate with other community
folks and our Berkeley DB developers for hints, tips, and general
problem solving.

Thank you for your support of Berkeley DB,

regards,

-greg

Gregory Burd                                     greg.burd at oracle.com
Product Manager, Berkeley DB/JE/XML              Oracle Corporation