[Tmem-devel] linux 2.6.34 vanilla and tmem

Dan Magenheimer dan.magenheimer at oracle.com
Thu Aug 19 08:01:36 PDT 2010

> All works fine, but selfballooning doing only to memory value, not
> above. If in vm config file memory=6000 and maxmemory=65000 selfballoon
> only add memory to 6000, after that nothing happened.
>
> Why selfballoon not add memory above memory in config file?

If Committed_AS grows higher than the initial memory
value, selfballooning should grow memory to the
higher value.  I have seen this work many times.  However,
I recently saw a case similar to what you are seeing.
It is very likely a bug, but I haven't looked at solving
it yet.  See the flat purple line in the graph at:
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/tmem/dist/files/oel5u5/tmemgraph.1G.j64.pdf

As you can see, memory in the guest does grow above
the initial memory= amount (yellow cross-hatched line),
but then stops doing that for some reason.

If you have any ideas on this bug, I would welcome
any help.

Thanks,
Dan