[Tmem-devel] tmem how to get current usage in megabytes?

Dan Magenheimer dan.magenheimer at oracle.com
Wed Aug 18 15:28:03 PDT 2010

> > I would first try increasing the size of your guest
> > swap disk (or, if easier, adding a second much larger
> > swap disk) to see if it helps.

By the way, note that a second swap disk can be a large
size to the guest but, if your dom0 distro supports it,
can be backed with a sparse file.  If frontswap doesn't
"fill up", the backend sparse swapfile will rarely be
used.

> > There are also a number of "tunables" for selfballooning
> > and frontswap-selfshrinking that can be adjusted in
> > /sys/devices/system/xen_memory/xen_memory0/*
> > including a min_target_kb that will limit the lower
> > limit that selfballooning will target.
>
> I think we use various versions of patches becouse i do not have
> min_target_kb , but have target_kb, if i try to write small value -
> memory is shrinking. But You say, that the current version of patch do
> the shrinking automatik in kernel, where i can find this version of
> patch?

The patch you sent me has min_target_kb (search for
it in the patch) and does selfballooning in the kernel.
Maybe you are not running the kernel you built?  Or
maybe you did not enable CONFIG_XEN_SELFBALLOONING
when you built it?

> I think i have mistake in my patch. Can you check my patch that i send?

I looked it over quickly and it looked OK to me.  There
is a bug fix or two I've made on top of RHEL6 beta2, but
haven't yet applied it to the various beta2 updates that
Red Hat has already made (and I'm falling further behind).

Dan