[Tmem-devel] tmem how to get current usage in megabytes?

Dan Magenheimer dan.magenheimer at oracle.com
Wed Aug 18 10:27:13 PDT 2010

Hmmm.... it appears to me that your 2GB swapdisk is
already full.  I think the self-ballooning IS working
but is targeting a memory size which is too small
which results in swapping.  Then frontswap gets
filled up (limited to sum of sizes of your swapdisks).
Do I remember from an earlier email that you have
"noselfshrink" in your guest grub.conf?  If so, then
frontswap will remain full.

I would first try increasing the size of your guest
swap disk (or, if easier, adding a second much larger
swap disk) to see if it helps.

There are also a number of "tunables" for selfballooning
and frontswap-selfshrinking that can be adjusted in
/sys/devices/system/xen_memory/xen_memory0/*
including a min_target_kb that will limit the lower
limit that selfballooning will target.

I have a script which runs inside the guest to measure
certain important memory activity.  I usually launch it
in /etc/rc.local, though by the time /etc/rc.local
starts, self-ballooning has already started.  See
attached script.

Hope that helps!
Dan