[rds-devel] extra header abstraction

Dirk Kirsten dirk.kirsten at de.ibm.com
Fri May 21 04:30:57 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have another issue; this time it is about the extra header provided by
RDS. I really like your abstraction of RDS and the underlying transport
modules, it makes it really straightforward to program another transport
module. Nevertheless, I have some stuff which I have to transmit for my
transport module. This stuff is just 6 bytes long, so I though it would be
a good idea to pack this into the extra header provided by RDS.
Unfortunately I figured out that the extra header is kind of hard coded
into the rds core. Why is this so or is this due to historic reasons? I
think it would be more reasonable to put the handling of the extra header
into the transport modules themself. Especially because you are using the
extra header mainly for some credit based infiniband flow control, if I
understood it correct. Because it is infiniband-specific wouldn't it be
better to handle this in the IB transport module?
My problem now is that I can not use the extra header, because I do not
want to change your rds core code. Did I got the architecture of the extra
header or did I missed something? It would be really nice to know if you
plan to change anything regarding this topic.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

Dirk Kirsten

IBM Deutschland GmbH

Geschäftsführung: Martin Jetter (Vorsitzender),
Reinhard Reschke, Christoph Grandpierre, Matthias Hartmann, Michael Diemer,
Martina Koederitz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 24938