[rds-devel] Using interrupt context

Andy Grover andy.grover at oracle.com
Mon May 17 11:33:41 PDT 2010

On 05/17/2010 12:52 AM, Dirk Kirsten wrote:
> I am currently developing a transport module for RDS. There seems to be a
> problem with the synchronization in the current code. I would like to call
> rds_conn_create and the whole receiving part from within the interrupt
> context. If I do so, the GFP_KERNEL in rds_conn_from_addr() seems to be a
> problem. In __rds_conn_create there is still a gfp_t passed as argument, so
> would it be possible to simply pass this to rds_conn_from_addr() as well?
> Or is there any reason why you are not doing this?

Hi Dirk,

It's great to hear RDS is proving useful to others.

If you want rds core changes to support your code, I infer you're
planning on submitting it for upstream inclusion? If so, I'd recommend
doing that first, even if the performance is not optimized. We're much
more likely to accept rds core changes for in-tree code, especially
since it sounds like you're doing something a little bit different than
vanilla RDS. We'd like to fully grasp the implications, you know?

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy