[rds-devel] rds upstream backlog

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Mon Jul 19 05:14:17 PDT 2010

Andy Grover wrote:
> I definitely would like to push all of this upstream. The current blockers for
> this are some serious bugs we're still seeing on unload, and loopback connection
>  hangs, in addition to some commits needing proper changelogs.

There are always things to complete ... I would recommend to sort this huge pile of
patches to bunch of series e.g by what they are trying to address, etc and start
pushing them one by one. With the amount getting bigger every week, the push is going to be
harder for you, the general guideline is to start sooner rather then later, seems like here
you're in a deep "later" situation, so best if you can prioritize high the catch up.

> You suggestion to start pushing stuff in pieces might be a good way to
> proceed, I'll think about doing that.

What's the alternative, push to dave (say) 50-70 patches at once in few months?
it would be very risky and tedious for you, with many chances to make mistakes, and then
what? regenerate again 60 patches?...

> BTW our work is on a public git repo so it's not like we're hacking
> away in private, but I agree working more closely against mainline is best

Indeed, its not that you're hacking away in private, but OTHO I didn't see any patches
sent inline in an email for review, wheres when you post upstream you HAVE to do that,
which can let people who're not directly from the devel team to review, find problems, etc.

Or.