[rds-devel] RDS connections

Andy Grover andy.grover at oracle.com
Mon Jul 20 09:20:41 PDT 2009

gossips J wrote:
> I am new to RDS, can anyone help me to understand following with respect to
> RDS?

Hi Polk, you bet.

> - when does connection gets destroyed in RDS?

See this comment from connection.c:

 * There is only every one 'conn' for a given pair of addresses in the
 * system at a time.  They contain messages to be retransmitted and so
 * span the lifetime of the actual underlying transport connections.
 *
 * For now they are not garbage collected once they're created.  They
 * are torn down as the module is removed, if ever.

> - once destroyed, when will it gets new connection in RDS?

If the connection is broken, it will try to re-establish the connection
indefinitely, but the connection itself is never destroyed unless rds
module is unloaded.

Regards -- Andy