[rds-devel] Re: comments on the send CQ completion handler

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Wed Jan 9 08:01:28 PST 2008

Richard Frank wrote:
> All send operations should have signaled set as the last fragment is
> xmitted - and may have it set for one or more of the intervening
> fragments - based on the number of fragments sent for a message.

Indeed, but this is not how rds_ib_xmit_rdma works, rdma is always
serves by one posting to the qp (i.e one fragment), and asking a
completion to be generated for this post is conditioned on the
max_unsig_bytes/wrs values.

> This raises another point - we do not need signaling of rdma completions
> - as all rdmas are always followed with the immediate data send - which
> should be signaled. We use the immediate data send completion to set the
> barrier  hwm.

On the other thread you wrote that "Our planned use of immediate data
(notification message of rdma completion) keeps the immediate data (msg)
separate from the rdma data" from which I understand you first want to
get notification on the rdma completion and only after this (and
possibly some more processing is done) send the immediate data, did I
miss anything?

Or.