[rds-devel] Maintaining RDS v2 compatibility with RDS v3 driver ?

Richard Frank richard.frank at oracle.com
Thu Nov 15 04:59:03 PST 2007

We have a requirement to not break existing V2 applications - e.g - they
have already shipped and are not expecting to see an rds version greater
than V2 - even when running on OFED 1.3 with the V3 driver.

As well, we want to ensure that an RDS v3 driver can inter-operate with
an RDS v2 driver - so we must maintain the RDS v2 wire protocol and or
an RDS v3 driver would need to either dynamically detect communication
with an RDS v2 driver and "talk down" to it using RDS v2 protocol - or
we use a static switch (module load parameter) to enforce this - or the
RDS v3 driver natively speaks the RDS v2 wire protocol (which is where
we are today) as we currently have no wire protocol changes between RDS
v2 and RDS v3.

We will need the static switch to control the RDS  interface forcing the
V3 driver to run in V2 mode.