[rds-devel] netperf patch to support RDS

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Thu Nov 1 01:23:19 PDT 2007

Zach Brown wrote:
>> If removing the restriction on the tool to be standalone, what about
>> crload etc programs which in past provided by Oracle along with the RAC
>> IPC library so one can compare the performance of RDS to UDP for Oracle
>> IPC through synthetic tool and without the need to set a data-base, is
>> this available somehow - Rick?
>
> Yeah, people use crload.  Distributing it is a problem.  There's also a
> rds-stress tool in the rds-tools repository which vaguely mimics what
> crload does.

Zach,

OK, so there are actually seven numbers around:

UDP     - Gbe, IPoIB datagram / connected mode
RDS/TCP - Gbe, IPoIB datagram / connected mode
RDS/IB  - native

An RDS capable netperf can be used to produce them all (*) and same for
crload. Basically people want to see four numbers, UDP/Gbe, UDP/IPoIB
datagram / connected mode and RDS/IB, a comparison which makes sense,
but is not possible with the rds tools, which can give only RDS and not
UDP numbers. This (the need in open-source and free benchmarking tool)
brings us back to the need to merge RDS support into netperf.

Or.

(*) can you shed light how do I make RDS use the TCP transport over the
IPoIB network, my understanding is that it will always use the native
transport, correct?