[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 KVM Crashes Yet Again !

netbsd at tango.lu netbsd at tango.lu
Wed Sep 27 00:51:44 PDT 2017

Hello All,

I wrote earlier about our OCFS2 crash issue in KVM due to bug in the SMP
code.

For this we come up with a solution:

Instead of using multiple vcpus
   <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>

using a single one and multiple cores instead:
     <topology sockets='8' cores='8' threads='1'/>

And applying key tune options to sysctl.conf:

vm.min_free_kbytes=131072
vm.zone_reclaim_mode=1

Seemed to be helped, the fs did not crash right away when we were
hammering it with apache benchmarks with 10000 requests however last
night I started a large rsync operation from a 5TB OCFS2 FS mounted in
the VM to another OCFS2 mounted in the same VM and ended up with:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ibb.co_gFeGg5&d=DwICAg&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PQcxBKCX5YTpkKY057SbK10&r=QxGl6UoyzTJm_1fAz5ZR9izvWJhWcqbtYn-0afBpa7A&m=cYprGRHz-oQmhnx4HIke8sTdCG_tf8Jb-rF6sHnYLnk&s=ajWfQIlUZOpElFWxoKcmvTIk7J3PpuCJITcnXfJQHrc&e=

After trying a lot of different kernels starting from the 3.x series,
now we are using 4.13.2 latest kernel with default configuration but
these issues still present. Is this OCFS2 project still being developed?
With this crashing and unreliability it cannot be used in production
unless you put in place bunch of safeguards to reset out the whole
virtualmachine when it crashes.

Thanks