[Ocfs2-users] issues with my ocfs2 cluster

Peter Grandi pg at ocfs.list.sabi.co.UK
Wed Dec 27 10:16:43 PST 2017

> I have a ocfs2 filesystem setup as a shared filesystem between
> 12 openstack compute nodes which are Ubuntu 16.04.3.

I am amazed by how unconstrained are the imaginations of some
other people. That is a truly astonishing setup.

> I have a very big concern of stability.  A month ago I lost a
> good deal of files, I don't know the real reason, but things
> seemed to point to the ofcs2 cluster.

That also seems to me unconstrained by concern about mere
details.

> Last week I found many of my compute nodes with the nova
> service down. The node which went down first has a "stuck"
> file/directory in the ocfs2 filesystem [ ... ]

The stack trace seems to point at a "lost" wakeup from the OCFS2
lock manager.

> I have other openstack compute nodes that are identical except
> they use local storage and do not use ocfs2 and these have
> always been stable.

But OCFS2 is meant to work with local physical storage on a
local phyical machine. What's your current setup?

> maybe ocfs2 just isn't stable on Ubuntu 16.04.3? I am using
> version 1.6.4-3.1

OCFS2 has been extremely stable for many years on very high load
share-disk clusters for many users. OpenStack and perhaps newer
kernels not necessarily so.

Also OCSF2 requires a storage subsystem with specific features
and a high degree of reliable operation. It is astonishing but
fairly typical that this reports contains no mention of the
setup or of the state of the storage subsystem.