[Ocfs2-users] Diagnosing poor write performance

Eric Ren zren at suse.com
Wed Mar 30 05:24:32 PDT 2016

Hi,

On 03/30/2016 05:45 PM, Graeme Donaldson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're seeing very poor write performance on a cluster that was built
> roughly a year ago. I am by no means an expert on OCFS2, nor the DRBD layer
> that we have under it. We do have several clusters that are configured in
> much the same way via our puppet infrastructure, yet this particular one
> gives us write speeds around the 15 kilobyte/sec mark, where some of our
> other clients do 55 megabytes/sec on similar hardware.

How did you perform the testing? It really matters. If you write a file
on shared disk from one node, and read this file from another node,
without, or with very little interval, the writing IO speed could
decrease by ~20 times according my previous testing(just as a
reference). It's a extremely bad situation for 2 nodes cluster, isn't?

But it's incredible that in your case writing speed drop by >3000 times!

> I realise that this is all very vague, so for now I am just hoping for
> general pointers on where to start in diagnosing this, from which I can do
> more research and then hopefully revisit the thread with more detailed
> questions and data.
>
> Some basic info to get started:
>
> O/S: Debian Wheezy
> Kernel: Linux hostname 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.73-2+deb7u3 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
> ocfs2-tools: 1.6.4-1+deb7u1
> 2 servers in the cluster. OCFS2 filesystem lives on a DRBD dual-primary
> device, which itself is built on an LVM volume, whose VG lives on a RAID1
> pair of 1TB SATA HDDs.

Could you firstly do test on LVM, then DRBD, and then OCFS2? Let's blame
on them more fairly.

Eric