[Ocfs2-users] Problem with OCFS2 disk on some moments (slow until stalls)

Tariq Saeed tariq.x.saeed at oracle.com
Tue Sep 15 19:04:08 PDT 2015

Hi Area,
data=writeback improves things greatly. In ordered mode , the default,
before writing
a transaction(which only logs meta data changes) data is written. This
is very conservative
to ensure that before journal log buffer is written to disk journal
area, data has hit the disk and
transaction can be safely replayed in case of a crash -- only complete
transactions are replayed,
by complete I mean: begin-trans changebuf1, changebuf2, ... ,
changebufnn end-trans. Replay means buffer
are dispatched from the journal area on disk to their ultimate home loc
on disk. You can see now why
ordered mode generates so much i/o. In write back mode, transaction can
hit the disk but data
will be written whenever the kernel wants, asynchronously and without
knowing any relationship
to its related data. The danger is in case of a crash, we can replay a
transaction but its associated
data is not on disk. For example, if you truncate up a file to a new
bigger size and then
write something to a page beyond the old size, the page could hang
around in core for a long time
after transaction is written to the journal area on disk. If there is a
crash while the data page is still
in core, after replay, the file will have new size but the page with
data will show all zeros instead of
what you wrote. At any rate, this is a digression, just for your info.

The commit is the interval at which data is synced to disc. I think it
may also be the interval
after which journal log buffer is written to disk. So decreasing it
reduces number of unecessary
writes.

Now for the threads blocked for more than 120 sec in /var/log/messages.
There are two types.
First type is blocked on mutex on ocfs2 system file, mostly the global
bit map file shared by
all nodes. All writes to system files are done under transactions and
that may require
flushing to disk the journal buffer, depending upon your journal file
size. The smaller the size,
the fewer transactions it can hold, so more frequently the journal log
on disk needs to be
reclaimed by dispatching the meta data blocks from the journal space to
their home locations,
thus freeing up on-disk journal space. This requires reading meta data
blocks from journal area
on disk, and writing them to their home location. So again, lot of i/o.
I think the threads are
waiting on mutex because journal code must do this reclaiming to free up
space. The other kind
  of blocked threads are NOT in ocfs2 code but they
all are blocked on mutex. I don't know why. That would require getting a
vmcore and chasing
the mutex owner and finding out why is it taking long time. I don't
think that is warranted at
this time.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks
-Tariq