[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 slow when using 'find' and 'du' commands

Robert Abbate doctorabbate at gmail.com
Thu May 22 16:23:36 PDT 2014

we've noticed that once we have grown to have thousands (21,839) of
sub-directories running linux commands such as 'find' and 'du' are very
slow. we compared them by running them directly on a hard-disk with the
same file and directory contents

find ./directory/* -type f -mmin -60

(21,839 directories)
ocfs2 = 10 minutes
direct  = 30 seconds

Are there any tweaks we need to make to help improve performance of these
commands when many sub-directories exist?

ocfs2 nodes = 3

debugfs.ocfs2 1.6.3
        Feature Compat: 3 backup-super strict-journal-super
        Feature Incompat: 9808 sparse inline-data xattr indexed-dirs
discontig-bg
        Feature RO compat: 1 unwritten
        Dynamic Features: (0x0)