[Ocfs2-users] Significant Slowdown when writing and deleting files at the same time

Andy aryan1 at allantgroup.com
Fri Mar 29 12:28:50 PDT 2013

I have been having performance issues from time to time on our
production ocfs2 volumes, so I set up a test system to try to reproduce
what I was seeing on the production systems.  This is what I found out:

I have a 2 node test system sharing a 2TB volume with a journal size of
256MB.  I can easily trigger the slowdown by starting to processes to
write a 10GB file each, then I delete a different large file (7GB+)
while the other processes are writing.  The slowdown is significant and
very disruptive.  Not only did it take over 3 minutes to delete the
file, every else with pause when entering that directory too.  A du
command with stop and nfs access to that file system will think the
server is not responding.  Under heavier amounts of writes, I have had a
delete takes 13mins for a 8GB file, and NFS mounts return I/O errors.
We often deal with large files, so this situation above is fairly common.

I would like any ideas that would provide smoother performance of the
OCFS2 volume and somehow eliminate the long pauses during deletes.

Thanks,

Andy