[Ocfs2-users] RHEL 5.8, ocfs2 v1.4.4, stability issues

Nathan Patwardhan npatwardhan at llbean.com
Wed May 2 12:30:09 PDT 2012

We haven't gotten to implement RDM yet, but will.  We're discussing this internally right now so I don't have any summaries about that.

As a transitional step, I decided to see if I could stabilize ocfs2 by introducing drbd and REMOVING the shared vmdks from both ESX guests.  After each ESX guest was given a single and additional 10GB vmdk and I added each vmdk (/dev/sdb1 on each guest) to drbd and got drbd going, I did a mkfs.ocfs2 and got everything mounted as it should be, then started splunk.

We've been stable for almost 24 hours but most importantly we have NOT seen any of the errors in syslog nor have experienced any ocfs2 outages or system crashes as we had seen when systems had been using a shared vmdk.  drdb performance isn't the greatest and is actually pretty poor in the context of ESX, but at the same time proving out ocfs2 reliability definitely seems to be taking shape.  I am looking forward to seeing how we do performance-wise once we introduce RDM.

--
Nathan Patwardhan, Sr. System Engineer
npatwardhan at llbean.com
x26662