[Ocfs2-users] Deleting a large dataset or a large number of files

Infantino, Joe (Contractor) JINFANTINO at intersil.com
Mon Jul 9 13:31:05 PDT 2012

We are having an intermittent issue with our ocfs2 file system.

Oracle Linux Server release 5.6
2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek
ocfs2 1.6.3

After deleting a large amount of data (~100G) we noticed the ocfs2 file
system go "offline" for a few minutes at different times throughout the
day.  By "offline" I mean it is not accessible to the server, through
samba, or through nfs mounts.  After about 5 minutes it is back online.
After a time, it is different each day, it will happen again.  There is
no pattern to the "offline" status and it is not predictable.

If we run an fsck.ocfs2 -f on the file system it seems to clear the
issue (at least we have run for 1 full week without the issue
returning).

We noticed it again after deleting ~125G of data (1.5Million files).
After running fsck.ocfs2 the system stabilized.

Has anyone else seen this or have experience with it?

Joe Infantino
MCP, MCSA, Security+, ITILv3
Senior Systems Analyst
Security and Server Operations