[Ocfs2-users] A Billion Files on OCFS2 -- Best Practices?

Mark Hampton mark at cleverdba.com
Thu Feb 2 05:01:03 PST 2012

It does seem to be a little bit faster (maybe 10%)
with usrquota, grpquota and metaecc disabled.

The good news is that performance stayed pretty steady right through to the
end of the test.  Performance dropped considerably from ~2500 to ~1500
files per second over the first 500,000 inodes, but from 500,000 to
150,000,000 inodes performance was steady.  Hopefully that will stay true
when we get to 1 billion inodes.

Again, splitting the inodes across multiple OCFS2 filesystems seemed to be
a major factor to improving inode-creation performance (i.e. using the same
hardware but slicing the NetApp volume into multiple LUNs instead of a
single LUN).  Is that what you would expect Sunil?