[Ocfs2-users] No space left on device

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Wed Sep 14 15:51:36 PDT 2011

On 09/14/2011 03:21 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On 09/14/2011 03:11 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
>> It's a 2-node cluster. I rebooted one node, waited until it came up, and
>> now I can create files on that volume:
> Nope, it's doing it again. :(
>
> # touch test
> touch: cannot touch `test': No space left on device

old issue.

If on mainline:
Upgrade to mainline kernel > 2.6.36
install ocfs2-tools 1.6+
Run tunefs.ocfs2 --fs-feature=discontig-bg

If on el5:
Upgrade to the uek kernel
Upgrade tools and run tunefs.

Basically the vol is fragmented enough to not alllow the fs
to extend the inode allocator. The discontig-bg fixes by
allowing this allocator to be discontiguous.

A quick fix is to free up large files and so some touch of
empty files. If the large file was contiguous enough, you
should be able to extend that allocator. Another short term
fix is to free up unused slots, if you have any (using tunefs).
This will free up the journal which is almost always large
and contiguous.