[Ocfs2-users] enabling discontig-bg

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Oct 14 13:30:27 PDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 01:16 PM, srinivas eeda wrote:
> On 10/14/2011 12:23 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
>> We upgraded from 1.4 to 1.6 to avoid some FS fragmentation issues (the
>> "No space left on device" error, but the FS is not full yet). But it
>> looks like we really need to enable discontig-bg to take advantage of
>> that. Our file systems have these attributes:
>>
>> Compat: backup-super
>> Incompat: None
>> RO Compat: None
>>
>> Do we really need to enable discontig-bg in order to avoid the
>> fragmentation problem?
> Yes, you won't avoid fragmentation by enabling this feature. It now
> allows ocfs2 filesystem system files to grow in smaller contiguous chunks.

I'm sorry - what I mean is: do we need to enable this feature in order
to avoid the metadata file extension problem on heavily fragmented
volumes? An upgrade to 1.6 alone won't help with avoiding that problem,
if I don't enable the feature, is that correct?

I'm aware that the regular file fragmentation per se is not influenced
by this change.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/