[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 1.6 for RHEL?

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Tue May 17 08:22:28 PDT 2011

On 05/17/2011 06:00 AM, Sven Karlsson wrote:
> * Joel Becker wrote:
>> The latest ocfs2 is always in mainline.  Any distro building a
>> recent kernel an including ocfs2 will have it.  As Sunil says, this
>> includes Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, and OpenSuSE.  Whether ocfs2 is enabled
>> in the CentOS kernel is up to CentOS.
>
> Linux 2.6.39-rc7  has version 1.5.0 in Linus'es tree:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=fs/ocfs2/ver.c;h=e2488f4128a20f563459ba936cf263160e7350b2;hb=693d92a1bbc9e42681c42ed190bd42b636ca876f
>
> > From what I can tell from the changelog, you use the upstream-linus
> branch of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jlbec/ocfs2
> to sync with mainline, which also carries version 1.5.0.
>
> However, the latest version seems to be 1.6.3, available in the
> "unbreakable linux kernel" tree:
>
> http://oss.oracle.com/git/?p=linux-2.6-unbreakable.git;a=blob;f=fs/ocfs2/ver.c;h=8da71cb480f9cdd4cb0ff67f70a9b863f62b9a8b;hb=HEAD
>
> It was bumped in september last year...
>
> [~/linux-2.6-unbreakable]$ git log fs/ocfs2/ver.c
> commit c15e040971a341ca7e62448eac77385f91f6702f
> Author: Sunil Mushran<sunil.mushran at oracle.com>
> Date:   Tue Sep 14 14:02:49 2010 -0700
>
>      ocfs2: Ups the version from 1.6.2 to 1.6.3
>

> It's a bit confusing that mainline ver.c was last updated in 2007, at
> the same time there are ocfs2 patches continuously accepted in
> mainline, and the unbreakable kernel is at 1.6.3... is ver.c simply
> forgotten or are there other differences between the trees?

The version number place holder in the mainline is not useful.
Because a mainline kernel ships with only one ocfs2 module,
we don't need the version# in the module. Hence we've stopped
updating it. Maybe we should just remove it. But that does not
mean it does not have the features. If you are looking for the list
of features in the mainline, then just look at mkfs.ocfs2's manpage.
It lists the mainline kernel version the feature was added in.

The ocfs2 module version was only required because we were
shipping ocfs2 outside of the kernel (for RHEL). OCFS2 1.4 is the
last release under that model.

Going forward, ocfs2 will only be available with the kernel. (I mean
there is nothing stopping a person from distributing it however
they want. But that's highly unlikely.)

OL, SLES, Fedora, Debian, OpenSUSE, ubuntu.... all ship ocfs2 along
with the kernel. If it is not in your distro, ping the vendor.