[Ocfs2-users] mkfs.ocfs2 optimal options for web server

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Wed Jun 1 09:44:30 PDT 2011

On 06/01/2011 02:03 AM, Alex Sobrino wrote:
> We're planning a three web server cluster based on OCFS2. Basically, it
> will handle a huge CMS, with lots of PHP code, and some file uploads
> (but mainly file reads).
>
> Initially, I was thinking in:
>
> - Block size 4K
> - Cluster size 4K
> - Node slots 3
> - FS type mail
> - Journal options - let mkfs.ocfs2 guess them
>
> Do you think that I should modify anything? Do any of you have any
> similar configuration?

It makes sense to add additional slots upfront to allow you to grow later.
It will be easier if you have slots available. So go with 4 atleast if not 6.
The only downside is that it will reserve more journal space. But it's space
you can get it back later.

Also enable most features. The list depends on the version of the tools/fs you
have. If you are on a kernel that is based off 2.6.32+, then you should
be able to enable most features. For more, refer to man mkfs.ocfs2.