[Ocfs2-users] Versions and features

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Mon Feb 28 16:59:50 PST 2011

On 02/28/2011 09:10 AM, Joel Becker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 02:07:16PM +0100, Werner Flamme wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> last Friday my colleague (using Oracle's Linux 5) und me tried to get
>> access to a shared OCFS2 volume. Since he claimed that he now has OCFS2
>> 1.6, and I only have 1.4.3 (list below), we decided that I create the
>> filesystem with --fs-feature-level=max-features.
> 	If you want to share among differing versions, you want
> --fs-feature-level=max-compat.  max-features means "select the newest
> features", which will be incompatible with ocfs2 1.4.

mkfs.ocfs2 manpage includes two sections titled feature compatibility
and feature values. The former lists the features and when they were
made available. You can use the feature values section to determine
the feature the fs is missing in your distro version.

As Joel mentioned, that max-features is mostly meant for mainline.
Distros are always a step or two behind.