[Ocfs2-users] Question about eth communication for ocfs2

Alain.Moulle Alain.Moulle at bull.net
Tue Feb 8 01:32:01 PST 2011

>> And a relative question :
>>
>>     if there is a network breakdown on the only communication link
>> for ocfs2
>>     in a two-nodes cluster, what is the behavior :
>>
>>     - will both nodes decide to suicide ?
>>
>>     - will both nodes remain alive providing the exchanges of
>> informations on disk are always working ?
>>

> We have done many tests with iSCSI in our test environment, including
> network connectivity loss on both - iSCSI and O2CB networks -, and our
> results shows that the slave will fence and the master will recover the
> slave journal. When the slave boot, it will not mount the filesystem
> due to lack of network connectivity.
>
> The role of master or slave can be any of your nodes, so you can't
> predict who will fence.

OK but what I wonder now is :
is OCFS2 really capable of fencing an adjacent node ?
or is it only capable of "node self-fencing" ?
I thought that ocfs2 was only capable of "node self-fencing" because
there is no configuration of any fencing device (i.e. ipmi ,etc.) in the
ocfs2 configuration, so a node can't fence another node as in a HA
software (like Cluster Suite, Pacemaker, etc.)

So only "node self-fencing" possibility , right ?

So, in case of linkcom breakdown, you seem to tell me that
only the slave node will self-fence , and we can't really know
which one of both nodes will self-fence as we can't know which
one is the slave when the linkcom breakdown happens , right ?

> Read the section "13. Heartbeat, Quorum, and Fencing" of the OCFS2
> user's guide, it has some information about it.

I've got the OCFS2 User's Guide .16 and will read this chapter.
Alain