[Ocfs2-users] High memory usage

Kushnir, Michael (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] michael.kushnir at nih.gov
Mon Dec 12 09:58:25 PST 2011

Good afternoon,

We just deployed our OCFS2 1.4 across 10 nodes. When we run a java process with lots of file creates and updates, I see the system RAM fill up and the system start swapping heavily.

I've tried to counter by running "sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/dropcaches" with practically no effect. I've also set swappiness to 0 using "echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness". But neither helps. I see RAM usage increase until it is completely full.

Once I kill my process that is creating files, the resident memory that is used by that process is returned, but the other memory (held by whatever is mysteriously filling up my RAM, I think OCFS2) is not returned.

I am running RHEL 5.7. I've tried the stock RHEL kernel and UEK from Oracle. I've ruled out java memory leaks. I do not see the same problem in a system running the same process on a local file system. This makes me think it is OCFS2 causing my problem.

Please let me know if  I can tune the FS to make this stop.

Thanks,
Michael