[Ocfs2-users] Slow OCFS2 file creation / how to make ocfs2 generally faster?

Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG s.priebe at profihost.ag
Sun Aug 21 23:36:38 PDT 2011

Hi Guys,

all in all ocfs2 is a nice piece of software and works very well. Last
week i made some benchmarks and was thinking if there is a way to make
it faster.

Here are some results perhaps someone can comment them:

XFS iSCSI target:
100MB/s block write
  50MB/s block rewrite
140MB/s block read

OCFS2 iSCSI target (one node connected / two nodes connected)
  75MB/s block write
  24MB/s block rewrite
  82MB/s block read

File Creation / Deletion:

XFS iSCSI target:
5800 files/s Seq. create
5700 files/s Seq. delete
5800 files/s Rand. create
1300 files/s Rand. delete

OCFS2 iSCSI target (only ONE node connected):
5000 files/s Seq. create
5400 files/s Seq. delete
5300 files/s Rand. create
  480 files/s Rand. delete

OCFS2 iSCSI target (two or more nodes connected):
  800 files/s Seq. create
5800 files/s Seq. delete
  800 files/s Rand. create
  480 files/s Rand. delete

I would be very happy if someone can tell me if this is normal or if
there are ways to speed this up.

All tests were made using vanilla 2.6.38.8 kernel and these mount
options noatime,data=writeback,commit=60.

Greets Stefan