[Ocfs2-users] How long for an fsck?

Josep Guerrero guerrero at ice.cat
Sat Apr 23 00:24:13 PDT 2011

Hello,

> >> How long did the debugfs output take?
> >
> > I think about 30 minutes. No more than 50 for sure (just by looking at
> > the times of the mails).
> >
> >> Did fsck eventually finish?
> >
> > No. I had to cancel it after it stayed 24 hours in the same state,
> > showing the same message. It never moved beyond "Pass 0a", and always
> > was using 100% CPU in one core. I don't know if it would have finished
> > on its own.
> >
> >> BTW, you said one of the cores was at 100%. What does top show?
> >> Is fsck the main contributor or is some other process spinning?
> >
> > It was fsck (I kept a top opened the whole time, and fsck always was
> > around 99% CPU usage).
> >
> >> I have a theory as to why it is slow. But I would like some
> >> confirmation. My theory had fsck have high wait%. I seem to be missing
> >> something.
> >
> > I didn't look at the wait%, but I checked the physical disk load with
> > iotop and it was very low, so it didn't look like fsck was being slow
> > because of the disk. In the filesystem I successfully "fscked" before
> > (the 3 TB one that took less than 60 minutes), it started doing
> > something similar (very high CPU usage, low disk load) but after several
> > minutes (when the rest of the messages after "Pass 0a" appeared), it did
> > just the opposite: low CPU use, high disk load. Both filesystems are
> > physically on the same set of disks (the 16TB logical volume is an
> > striped LVM volume that fills about 75% of the 21 physical disks and the
> > 3TB is another striped LVM volume filling the remaining space of the
> > same disks) so I don't think it's a problem with the physical devices
> > (of course, I could be wrong).
>
> File a bz. This will need some investigation.

Sorry, I suppose it must be an stupid question but, what's a "bz"? I 've found
several references to it in the list, but no explanation of what it is or how
it is done.

> BTW, how much memory does your box have?

48 GB. While fsck was running, there never was more than 5% in use (according
to top) and fsck kept its memory use around 3%.

Regards,

Josep Guerrero