[Ocfs2-users] Problem with datavolume option

Rafa Carreres rcarreres at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 12:07:01 PDT 2010

Hi,

The facts

I have a cluster running Oracle RAC with two nodes accesing a shared
storage using ocfs2 1.4.7 as a filesystem.
It has been working perfectly right until now.
We need to manage certain files with the utl_file package (included with
oracle database) and store them in the ocfs2 filesystem volume.
The files can be created and accessed, but can't be read.
In fact, we can read the begining of the files, but after having read
about 1 KB, I get a read file error.
If the file is <1KB size, I have no problem.
The volume is mounted with the nointr and datavolume options.
The utl_file package use a buffered I/O and for what I know, the
datavolume option means using direct I/O (not buffered).
If I mount the volume without the datavolume option, the problem dissapears.

The conclusion

Using the oracle utl_file package with a ocfs2 volume mounted with the
datavolume option is not a good idea.

I don't know if this behavior is the same with other applications (with
buffered I/O). Can anybody confirm this point?

Best Regards