[Ocfs2-users] log files appended with NULL when node lost power

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Mar 30 11:31:22 PDT 2010

A and B are identical machines. Network has lots of redundancy. They
both access same OCFS2 volumes over Fiber Channel on a SAN.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)
2.6.18-128.el5 x86_64
OCFS2 1.2.9

There's a software appending lines to some log files on a SAN volume
shared by both nodes. Either system can write to the log files.

As a redundancy test, I cut off power to node A while doing transactions
on the site (sudden cut-off, no graceful shutdown). While logged in to
node B, I noticed some log files appeared to be filled with NULL (00
hex) characters at the end.

When I powered node A back on, the log files turned normal all of a
sudden. Looks like no logging data was lost, I could read the lines that
were logged while A was down.

It's just during the power shutdown on node A, the files appeared padded
with NULL at the end on node B, but turned back normal when A came back
online.

Is this something that can be fixed?

--
Florin Andrei