[Ocfs2-users] Extremely high iowait

Daniel McDonald wasade at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 14:36:31 PDT 2010

Hello,

We have a 5 node OCFS2 volume backed by a Sun (Oracle) StorageTek 2540. Each system is running OEL5.4 and OCFS2 1.4.2, using device-mapper-multipath to load balance over 2 active paths. We are using the default multipath configuration for our SAN. We are observing iowait time between 60% - 90%, sustaining at over 80% as I'm writing this, driving load averages to >25 during an rsync over ssh session. We are copying 200gig via a gigabit ethernet switch, so at most doing 50-60MB/s. The volume we are pushing to is a RAID 5 device backed by 5 7200rpm SATA drives. I've been muttering wtf to myself for a little while, and I thought it might be a bit more productive to mutter wtf to the users group. Is this expected? What would be advisable courses of action? Block size and cluster size is set to 4096, and we formatted with the fs type as 'mail'. In our current configuration, 2 of the nodes are offline and the other 2 are idle.

Previously we were not seeing high iowait much more intensive IO tests. I'm not seeing anything in /var/log/messages from the "observer" nodes or the node actually pushing the data to the fs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm inclined to think that this issue is SAN side, but I was hoping to gather some opinions from others first before pursuing this with Sun (Oracle). Thanks!
-Daniel