[Ocfs2-users] High load average on Apache Cluster with drbd + ocfs2

Andreas Kossmann kossmann.andreas at gmx.de
Wed Mar 3 02:04:48 PST 2010

Hello all,

I have an enviroment with 2 Debian 5.0 servers.
Kernel is 2.6.26-2-amd64. I have installed drbd-8.0.14 and ocfs2-tools 1.4.1.
It is an Active/Active WebCluster with Apache.
The 2 servers write to the same log files.

In my test enviroment everything works fine. In the production environment I have the problem, that after a few weeks the Apache-Servers goes crazy and get a very high load >100.

First I thought the problem may be drbd, but I have read many problemes with ocfs2 and apache load average.

The curios thing is that the load is often very high at times where request are very small ( eg. 11:00 PM )

I've disconnected the second webserver from the network and checked the filesystem. A few bitmap errors occured and i repaired them. Then I changed the drbd config so, that only webserver 1 is primary and the webserver 2 is secondary. So webserver 2 cannot write to the device.

After I connect the webserver 2 to the network again and the sync from the primary starts. The load on webserver 1 is going > 100.

I have also tested the connection with webserver 2 with disconnected drbd. I discovered that the load on webserver 1 is going i little higher also.

Is there any solution for the ocfs2 load problem with apache?
If there is no solution I hvae to change from active/active to active/passive with ext3 as filesystem.

Please, help me.

Thanks a lot

Andreas