[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2-tools Debian packaging

Jeremy Lainé jeremy.laine at m4x.org
Fri Jun 25 02:07:30 PDT 2010

Hello,

Just a heads up to let you know I uploaded ocfs2-tools 1.4.4 to Debian yesterday. It will take a couple of days to make its way into Debian/unstable because I introduced two new packages following a user's request:

- ocfs2-tools-pacemaker : package containing ocfs2_controld.pcmk
- ocfs2-tools-cman : package containing ocfs2_controld.cman

A couple of points worth mentioning:

A/ you can always get the latest Debian packaging from:

svn://svn.debian.org/collab-maint/deb-maint/ocfs2-tools/trunk/

=> some time ago I suggested the "debian" directory be dropped from the ocfs2-tools source tree, as it is very much out of date. Proskurin Kirill's recent email on this mailing list seems to confirm this is confusing to users.

B/ ocfs2-tools's source code does not compile with GCC 4.5, we had to apply the following patch:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-maint/deb-maint/ocfs2-tools/trunk/debian/patches/gcc45-ftbfs.patch

C/ the manpages for mkfs.ocfs2 and o2image contain lines which are too long. I apply the following patch to address this:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-maint/deb-maint/ocfs2-tools/trunk/debian/patches/shorten-manpage-lines.patch

D/ Debian has switched to a dependency-based init system, so the LSB tags in the init scripts are of vital importance now. While packaging ocfs2-tools 1.4.4 I encountered some issues:

- the ocfs2 init script does not list $local_fs in it's Required-Start and Required-Stop. I think this is wrong because the init script makes use of "/var", which requires the local FS to be mounted.

- the ocfs2 and o2cb init scripts state that they should be started in runlevels 2, 3, 5 and don't specify when they should be stopped at all. In Debian, we have always started these two scripts in the "S" runlevel, and stopped them in the 0 and 6 runlevels (halt and reboot), so I have adjusted the LSB tags to reflect this. What is your opinion on this?

The corresponding patches are here:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-maint/deb-maint/ocfs2-tools/trunk/debian/patches/o2cb-init-script.patch
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-maint/deb-maint/ocfs2-tools/trunk/debian/patches/ocfs2-init-script.patch

E/  I have recently closed a crash report against ocfs2-tools in Debian's bug tracking system because it is triggered by an erroneous use of the cluster.conf config file, but it might still be worth investigating. If two clusters are defined in the cluster.conf file, a crash will occur due to a double free:

Cheers,
Jeremy