[Ocfs2-users] Why OCFS2 with RAC

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at openlane.com
Wed Jun 16 13:06:56 PDT 2010

We have been running Oracle RAC on top of OCFS1 and OCFS2 now for close
to over 7 years I think.

We had throughout that time only 2 times major issues, which in both
cases were quickly solved with help of Sunil and other OCFS developers.

> I keep seeing a lot of messages on the list relating to the use of
> ocfs2 on systems running RAC--often with problems in the OCFS2 camp,
> but that's just the nature of this list.  What I'm trying to
> understand is why one would even consider adding OCFS2 to the systems
> running RAC.  To me that is just adding complexity to critical
> systems, and complexity tyipcally results in decreased
> reliability/availability in the long term.

For us it was the only choice because with the amount of databases our
DBAs were not willing to go to raw storage (when ASM wasn't available yet
I believe original). OCFS2 has worked pretty well for us.