[Ocfs2-users] Non-clean fsck on almost-new filesystem

Patrick J. LoPresti lopresti at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 19:08:18 PDT 2010

My O/S is Suse Linux Enteprise Server 11 Service Pack 1.

My SCSI device is a hardware iSCSI RAID chassis.  I have done a
variety of reads and writes to this device without any problems, and
there are no network or I/O errors in any logs.

The steps I took:

1) mkfs.ocfs2 -N 4 -b 4k -C 512k -J block64 -T datafiles /dev/sdd1 268435456

2) fsck.ocfs2 -fy /dev/sdd1 # no problems

3) Mounted file system as "/foo" two nodes using "crm resource start
fs", which is just set up to do a mount.ocfs2 -o noatime

4) Ran "rsync -aHPv /local/source/dir. /foo/." on one of the two nodes

5) Ran "crm resource stop fs" to unmount the file system from both nodes

6) fsck.ocfs2 -fy /dev/sdd1

Output:

Checking OCFS2 filesystem in /dev/sdd1:
  Label:              <NONE>
  UUID:               93F5216F0A2041009BA37A97C0099F70
  Number of blocks:   268435456
  Block size:         4096
  Number of clusters: 2097152
  Cluster size:       524288
  Number of slots:    4

/dev/sdd1 was run with -f, check forced.
Pass 0a: Checking cluster allocation chains
Pass 0b: Checking inode allocation chains
Pass 0c: Checking extent block allocation chains
Pass 1: Checking inodes and blocks.
[CLUSTER_ALLOC_BIT] Cluster 97531 is marked in the global cluster
bitmap but it isn't in use.  Clear its bit in the bitmap? y
[CLUSTER_ALLOC_BIT] Cluster 98873 is marked in the global cluster
bitmap but it isn't in use.  Clear its bit in the bitmap? y
[CLUSTER_ALLOC_BIT] Cluster 99609 is marked in the global cluster
bitmap but it isn't in use.  Clear its bit in the bitmap? y
[CLUSTER_ALLOC_BIT] Cluster 99696 is marked in the global cluster
bitmap but it isn't in use.  Clear its bit in the bitmap? y
Pass 2: Checking directory entries.
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity.
Pass 4a: checking for orphaned inodes
Pass 4b: Checking inodes link counts.
All passes succeeded.

The other node was completely idle the entire time.

A recursive "diff" shows that the directory tree copied successfully.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.  I do not think I
can deploy a solution that shows this sort of flakiness.  (Or are my
expectations misplaced, and these messages from fsck are normal for a
cleanly unmounted partition?)

Thanks.

 - Pat